Join 59th Inaugural Ceremony
The formal inauguration for President Joseph R. Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris will be held January 20, 2021 at 10 AM MST / Noon EST on the custom-built platform of the West Front, U.S. Capitol. One way to participate and watch online is to register via Facebook via this link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1467595953426333/
The theme for this inauguration is “Our Determined Democracy: Forging a More Perfect Union” and was selected by the Joint Congressional Committee for the 59th Inauguration.
The 59th Joint Congressional Committee Inauguration Ceremonies
· Chairman, Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO)
· Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
· Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN)
· Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)
· Rep. Steny H. Hoyer (D-MD)
· Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA)
· First Inauguration took place April 30, 1789 in NYC for President George Washington
· Since 1901, per 20th Amendment of U.S. Constitution, the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies (JCCIC) has been responsible for the planning and execution of this event.
· Inauguration takes place for each newly elected or re-elected president.
· Recitation of the presidential oath of office is the only component in this ceremony mandated by the U.S. Constitution.
· Since 1937, the ceremony has incorporated one or more prayers.
· Constructed entirely from scratch
· 10,000 sq. ft. platform
· Able to hold more than 1,600 people; will be mostly virtual
· 430 sheets of foam insulation
· 1,363 sheets of plywood
· 110,000 linear feet of lumber
· 357 cinderblocks
· 117 tons of sands
· 20,160 pounds of grout + mortar
For more information about this and previous inaugurations, visit: https://www.inaugural.senate.gov/